The aims of the Heart Safe Community initiative
The Heart Safe Community initiative aims to improve survival rates for people suffering cardiac arrest across Victoria by teaching community members how to perform CPR and use an AED when others need it most. This is a joint initiative between AV6K成人网 and the Heart Foundation.
The program aims聽to:
- Raise聽community awareness of cardiac arrest
- Promote聽the role of Triple Zero (000) in a cardiac emergency
- Teach people CPR skills and how to use a defibrillator
- Identify聽and register聽existing聽defibrillators
- Install and聽register聽new defibrillators
- promote and educate on the use of smart phone technologies, like
Heart Safe Community locations are selected based on the following:
- ambulance demand
- number of cardiac arrests
- rates of bystander CPR
- number of publicly accessible AEDs
- population and demographics
- access to health care
- community capacity and readiness to engage
Heart Safe Community locations
Thirty one locations are now official鈥疕eart Safe Communities鈥痠n Victoria.
In 2023 we welcomed Bulla, Heathcote, Heywood, Lake Boga, Meeniyan, Metung, Monbulk, Nathalia, St Arnaud, Tallangatta, Warracknabeal and Winchelsea to the Heart Safe Community Program.
Barwon South West
- Port Fairy
- Yallourn North
- St Arnaud
- Violet Town
- Lake Boga
- Red Hill
- Bacchus Marsh
Melbourne University evaluated the initiative and the overall findings demonstrated that the pilot sites built local community capacity to respond to out of hospital cardiac arrest as demonstrated by increased community knowledge, confidence and skills to call 000, attempt chest compressions and acquire and use an AED. Download the (3.5 MB PDF)
We know that lives have been saved, and more will be saved, because of this initiative.聽We聽are committed to聽working with more communities聽across Victoria聽to improve out of hospital cardiac arrests聽survival rates.